tall red star experiment

Posted by on January 14, 2014 in block lotto community, Inspiration | 3 comments

IMG_1518I’ve been focusing on finishing my “row along” quilt to enter in the Dallas Quilt show, so haven’t let myself play with the tall red star blocks that I won in the fall, but this weekend I’m going to a quilt retreat so may have time to play with them.  So I got them out tonight and laid them out in columns on some dark green fabric I have in mind for vertical sashing.  The light doesn’t do them justice, but my how gorgeous they are!  Thanks again to all of you.

I wasn’t sure how well all the different reds would play together (and they are all different!), but I think it works.  I think it will be more columns than this, probably 8 rectangles long and 7 columns wide. I need to make at least one more.  I’d love any comments.  (I laid these out very randomly, so haven’t played with how the stars should go.  I love how the yellows pop!)

Thanks again!


  1. I love the addition of the dark green and, personally, would consider putting wider strips of it between the rows (columns?) of stars. It would become a great place for some pretty quilting design.

    Even with all those different red backgrounds, your star blocks look like they are playing together nicely … It took me a while to find one of my blocks 😉

  2. I love how they all look together and you are on to something with this layout. I never would have thought of columns. I also had fun looking to see if any of my blocks were in it! Yes they were. I never remember who got what when all is said and done.

  3. It looks great and I agree with Sophie that maybe the columns of green should be wider just to balance the density of the “star-fields”. I’m not a big fan of the green/red combination because it looks so much like Christmas, but in this quilt it works nicely. I found my blocks and it was fun to see them along with all the others.

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial