recent progress on UFOs using Sophie birds
The first two photos above are pics of work in progress on the Lori Holt Row along, featuring a row of Sophie birds from a couple of months ago. (I haven’t done the white sashing so just laid these rows on some white fabric). At first I was going to have the birds facing the center, but when I began sorting them, I realized they sort of fell into pairs, with one of each being a bit more flamboyant (I guess it’s the male!) I also had to downsize the pattern a bit to make it proportional to the other rows. (I also now see from the photo that one of my mugs is too light, so I’ll need to replace it with a darker aqua). (The Lori Holt rowalong is shown on her blog BeeinMyBonnet, but she has taken down the cutting instructions, as she has a book coming out soon that will have this pattern). My birds replace her mitten row, and I also plan to substitute a row of small hearts for her row of spools, since my prospective recipient is not a sew – er (sewer looked weird!).
The third photo is my completed I Spy top for my great niece. I used a pattern from a recent Quilty magazine. It had used 5 inch charms, but all my I Spy stash are 4 inch, so I had to resize the block to make it work. I also machine appliqued her name in the pink area (“Stella”). I used the machine blanket stitch. I like my I spies to have a look that may survive early childhood, so I really like the overall rainbow feel of this one; I haven’t picked the backing yet. Stella is one, so she will have fun with finding matches in the little blocks.