Sunrises for My Sampler
I groaned when I saw this block and found out I had to make 10 for my sampler. I also know myself well enough to know that if I didn’t get them made this month they would never get made and my sampler would go on the UFO pile. I’m also one that doesn’t shy away from a challenge so I plunged in this weekend to get these made since I’ll be out of town at a family reunion next weekend.
Surprise! They really aren’t all that difficult to make. I think I found the most difficult part was sewing the two blocks together. It is important to make sure the joining seams are accurately trimmed to 1/4 inch. I pressed the seam open because it is rather bulky in certain areas.
I just pieced the half circle areas with no problems. I think it was easier when sewed the inner circle first. I just clipped, pinned and sewed like set in sleeves in a shirt/dress. When sewing this way you can see the markings where the paper pieced seams cross and easily sew without cutting off points. (I probably should have taken a picture since I don’t think I’m explaining it properly).
I’m doing my sampler blocks in complementary colors and from stash and so far I’m loving it.
Thanks, Sophie, for such an awesome block.
Cathy L in IA
Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting