Sewing room recovery project….
My sewing room has gotten out of control and I finally started to clean it up, at least the quilting fabric part of it. In the process of refolding, stacking and sorting yardage and scraps, I came across the remainder of the Wonky Churn Dash blocks I had won….when?… Anyway with one cabinet full of neatly folded and stacked fabric, and smaller pieces sorted into bins, one with long pieces that result from the excess backing needed to mount a quilt on a long-arm machine, and at least 5 bins needing to be cut into usable strips and squares, the 16 wonky blocks began calling my name. Having already made one quilt from the set of blocks, these were the more problem children of the group, not an even distribution of dark and light blocks, bright fabrics, dull fabrics, and a couple of blocks with low contrast fabrics. But they asked to become a quilt. After toying with the idea of sashing the blocks, I decided it would be too difficult to pick a fabric that would work well next to all of the blocks. I turned to my go to help in block placement, my husband. I think we came up with an eye-pleasing block arrangement. He also suggested a true red inner border. I had planned to use a floral outer border, but decided to check that bin full of long pieces and see if I had enough of anything that would work. The blue background with butterflies outlined in red was just right. And then I decided to add to the top and bottom to make the quilt rectangular rather than square before adding the butterfly border. The bin yielded a piece of daisy fabric the worked quite well.