Field of Clover
Well, I haven’t made any blocks for April yet (must really see if I have any plaids!) or mailed my March blocks (post office closed until Tuesday due to Easter bank holidays) but I did do this particular lotto-related exercise today – I FINALLY put together the modern clover blocks I won back in the dark ages of whenever it was (apparently we made them in April 2011 – not as long ago as I thought!). I’ve laid them out a few times before, and was pretty sure I’d want an on point layout, which means I needed to make 2 more blocks – and of course, between that and the slightly extra work of an on-point layout, it meant that the blocks just tended to go back in the basket every time. Today I decided I would just do it and make those two extra blocks and get to work with the setting triangles. Just noticed that in this photo at least one flower looks like it has no leaves and stem – but they are there, just quite a pale green – in person, the difference is less striking.
It’s a funny thing about these blocks – the block is actually one I designed myself when Sophie and I were having a chat about flowers for whatever lotto year that was and which Sophie then refined a bit – so it was fitting when I won some that month. However, I’ve never been completely convinced that I really LIKED the block, until I saw lots of them laid out together (one of the other winners did a lovely top with sashing, if I recall correctly). En masse, I really like these clover, especially with the consistency of the dark and light placement. So there you go!