Block Lotto Basics
Joining is Easy
- Contact me by email at jeansophie (at) blocklotto (dot) com or by posting a comment on the block lotto blog indicating that you’d like to join the group. Once we’ve connected, email me with your real name and mailing address and URL of your blog, if you have one. Register on the site using <firstname><dot><lastname> for your username, for example Jane.Doe.
- Make blocks.
- When you have made your first lotto blocks and are ready to post a photo, email me and let me know and I will add author privileges to your account.
Making your Blocks
Each month you’ll be following the guidelines provided in the blog post announcing the lotto block of the month. These rules apply to all blocks, unless noted in the block guidelines.
- Fabrics must be 100% quilting cotton. It doesn’t matter if you buy your fabric from your local quilt shop, online fabric store or craft store, but it should be tightly woven cotton suitable for quilting.
- Pre-wash all fabrics used in your blocks. I don’t have a strong opinion about whether or not quilters should always wash their fabrics, but there are good reasons for washing fabrics used for making blocks for exchanges or the lotto … because even brand name fabrics sometimes run.
- Measure your blocks. Blocks for the lotto must be no more than 1/4 inch larger or 1/4 inch smaller than the specified size. For 2012, this means that your lotto blocks must measure between 9 1/4 – 9 3/4 inches square.
- Check your seams and seam allowances. Seam allowances should be 1/4 inch. Especially if you are using a new-to-you technique, after you have admired your block, flip it over and check your seams.
For more on the rules, read Why Rules Matter.
Entering the Drawing
After you post a photo of your blocks, your name goes into the (virtual) hat for the drawing on the last day of the month. You can also make a block and contribute it without putting your name into the drawing. Your name will be added to one of the lists on At A Glance page.
The number of winners and the number of blocks each winner receives depends upon the number of blocks made. Generally each winner will receive at least 35 blocks.
The Sneak Peak
If you make and post a photo of your blocks at least one week before the end of the month, you will be eligible to receive a Sneak Peek at the next month’s block via email.
Winners are chosen by using an online random number generator. After the winners are chosen, they have 48 hours to confirm their mailing address and decide how many of their own blocks they’d like to keep.
Everyone who made blocks will receive email with the mailing information letting them know to which winner(s) they will send their blocks.